<Welcome to the Bakery>

 

 

 

 

 

 

-Description-
______________
And every hour of every day I'm learning more
The more I learn, the less I know about before
The less I know, the more I want to look around
Digging deep for clues on higher ground

'Higher Ground', UB40


-Old Bakes-
______________

May 2003 June 2003 July 2003 August 2003 September 2003 October 2003 November 2003 December 2003 January 2004 February 2004 March 2004 April 2004 May 2004 June 2004 July 2004 November 2004 December 2004 April 2005 May 2005 July 2005 August 2005 November 2006

-Baker's Picks-
______________
name?
name?
name?


-Baker's Tools-
______________
name?
name?
name?


-Powered By-
______________

 

-Designed By-
______________

 


   
Tuesday, December 30  

Yippee! I finally did one of the things I've always promise myself I'll do - I visited the museum!

I went to the Asian Civilisation Museum with Shane, a South African I met from frisbee. There are actually 2 ACM in S'pore. The original museum lies along Armenian Street (adjacent to Stamford Rd). Early this year, ACM was continued into Empress Place (in Boat Quay).
I used to wonder - "Do we really need so many museums in S'pore? S'pore is so small & record of history so short. Got things to fill so many museums meh??"
Well, now I think there isn't enough galleries & space devoted to do justice to the subjects in the museums. The ACM was amazing...or rather, I was amazed by the ACM. It displays as it's name says - the Civilisations of Asia. Which is aloooot. Asia is great - in vastness, in age, in cultural wealth, in cultural diversity. A small museum like ours isn't enough to explain adequately Asia & its civiliation wonders.
I luv reading about history (tho the numerical collage of years & centuries totally lost me) & I luv poring over the intricacies of artifacts, paintings & carvings. I've only finished looking at like 20% of the stuff by closing time. I'm so gonna go back.
This visit sorta ties in with the book I'm reading now - "The Fortune-teller Told Me". I wonder, about my identity - as a Singapore national; as an ethnic Chinese; & as a South East Asian denizen. How true & worthy of these 3 identities am I?

   [ posted by toast @ 2:13 AM ] [ ]